Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A few steamers I am working on now :-)

I just can not get enough PRR steam I want to have them all ,and maybe someday I will.But at the rate I am going I will be long gone before I have them all because kitbashing/building Pennsylvania steam or any steam for that matter is time consuming at best.And if you want Pennsy steam or at least a fleet of steam you are going to have to spend some time "Pennsying them up" or building them from sratch.
I love the challange of seeing how close I can get to real thing I am no rivet counter but I like to be as accurate as I can be.
So here are a few of my in progress builds two l1's, two I1sa's and at the moment a lone N2sa.I am planning on building another N2sa because they almost always worked in pairs pulling coal drags out of Erie.So I am going to see how this first one comes out then work on another.

PRR N2sa scratch built pilot

Getting there on the N scale pennsylvania N2sa

My two I1sa's in progress thanks to Max Magliaro and the Zen master publication's for the insperation to give this a try

Here is onea post war L1 with Kato GS4 single slider valve gear to give it more of a PRR look and feel

Here is both Pennsy L1s this early on they have progressed a bit farther since this photo I guess I will just have to get out the camers and take a few more pics

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Where did you get the boilers from? Did you cast them yourself, or did you buy some pre-made ones?

    thanks

    Konrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Konrad,,

    I cast my own from a modified Kato mikado boiler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually are you talking about the I1's if so they are modified GHQ boilers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just curious about how to do casting, etc. I am into Pennsy steam as well (PRR-nscale yahoo group) and want to learn how to create pennsy boilers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Konrad take a look at Smooth-on and there is a very good Yahoo casting group as well.

    Casting is an art in itself full of trial and error but rewarding in the end when you do finally get a good mold and casting.

    hope this helps a bit

    Allen...

    ReplyDelete